Game Overview: Call of Duty Warzone
Developer: Infinity Ward & Raven Software
Platform: Playstation, Xbox, PC
Genre: First-Person Shooter (FPS) Battle Royale
Release Date: March 2020
- Warzone is a 1st person “Battle Royale” game where 150 players drop onto a giant map and fight to see who will be the last one standing.
- The title features full cross-platform compatibility (players on different platforms can party up together) as well as cross-save (transfer player save data across multiple platforms).
- The most notable feature of Warzone is its “Gulag”. This is where a player will go if/when they are eliminated for the 1st time in the game. In the Gulag, they will 1v1 with another eliminated player in a small arena to see who can respawn into the game.
- Players move around the map, picking up different weapons and healing/utility items in an attempt to gain the advantage over the other 149 players in the game.
- Over the course of the game, the “safe area” of the map will continuously shrink in size to due an in-game “gas cloud”. This forces players to eventually confront each other until there is only one competitor remaining.
- Group/party sizes can vary from solo all the way up to squads (4-player parties competing against each other; max 37 squads in a game).
- Each player has access to customizable loadouts containing each of the following:
- Primary & Secondary Weapon w/ customizable attachments
- Lethal Item (Grenade, Semtex Grenade, etc.)
- Tactical Item (Smoke Grenade, Stun Grenade, etc.)
- 3 Perks that add some sort of inherent trait to your character/loadout
- During the game, players will want to earn money by eliminating players, performing contracts, and opening loot chests around the map.
- Money can be used to buy scorestreaks such as a Recon UAV, high-tier utility, and even a “Loadout Drop”. This is an item the player calls in that allows them to select one of their own customized loadouts.
- A Loadout Drop is the only way to gain “Perks” (the inherent abilities mentioned above)
- Positioning, a balanced loadout (long/short range), and steady aim, will lead to victory.